The 5S method is a structured program to implement workplace organization and standardization. 5Simproves safety, work efficiency, productivity and ownership and a well-organized workplace motivates people.
The five main principles of 5S are Sort, Set in order, Shine, Standardize, and Sustain. With the implementation of these five principles, any kind of wastage, inefficiency, and unsafe conditions are brought to knowledge, which can then be dealt with.
- Sort - This includes identifying all the necessary items in the workplace, and removing all the unnecessary ones.
- Set in order - Once the necessary items are identified, they are labeled, colour coded, and well organized in the right places.
- Shine - This process involves the cleaning up of the workplace thoroughly.
- Standardize - This step makes sure that all the team members are trained on the above three steps and know how to perform them with consistency.
- Sustain - Here, a monitoring system is set up to observe that the organized and standardized workplace is being continually maintained.
Benefits of 5S
- Improving Production efficiency
- Good Image for the company
- Quality improvement
- Controlling your workplace
- Employee morale